Hello! Welcome to the humble beginnings of our 18th Annual Benchwarmer’s journey. Now at 18-years-old, Benchwarmers has grown up into an upstanding pillar of the theatrical community but still retains its youthful spirit at heart. We have one bench, an ensemble of actors, a director, and your 10-15 minute unproduced play that we can put on its feet. With these powers combined, we have Benchwarmers 2019. Below you will find all of the guidelines and requirements for submitting a play to Benchwarmers.
Step one for Benchwarmers is pretty easy: submit a play between May 1st and June 15th. If you submit outside those dates, we will not read your amazing work. You can submit your play on the Playhouse website, or you can go old school and submit through snail mail using the form on Page 4 of our Submission Guidelines. You can submit up to two plays, max. BUT, please remove your name from the script(s). ALL PLAYS ARE BLIND REVIEWED. Like actors without a tech crew, we read these in the dark to ourselves and would hate to know who wrote what.
Step two is the us stumbling around in the dark part, the blind read. The Playhouse depends on the kindness of three judges to review all the works, ranking each play. The highest ranked plays go on to become the tentative and tempestuous hopes and dreams of our beloved 18-year-old Benchwarmers. Final selections will be announced on August 1st.
Step three brings all the wonders of your work to life. At this point we will notify you that you are an official Benchwarmers 2019 playwright (ROCK ON!!!) and we will begin casting and rehearsing. As the playwright, you are welcome to attend or not attend as many rehearsals as you like.
Step four is the production at the Santa Fe Playhouse. Benchwarmers 2019 will run from November 7–24, 2019.
A few words of wisdom: Do not create elaborate sets or props for your play – we have a bench, that’s it, alright. Be creative with the bench. The bench, ever present, does not always need to play the part of bench, it can be a couch, a rollercoaster, a giant banana…you get the idea. As for props, you are allowed a file box full of props. Again, be creative. Like a newly minted adult getting carded at the gas station: these are limitations, but good ones. Appreciate them and work within the rules. About those rules, please read the Guidelines, listed below, before submitting!
Be sure to read the guidelines in full, and if you have any questions, always feel free to spam our inbox at email@example.com
Please read all the information before you submit your script.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION:
Benchwarmers is only open to playwrights with a current New Mexico address.
All plays are set on a bare stage with a single set piece: a park bench. Although the park bench may represent anything, it must appear on the stage.
There is no other furniture on the stage and only those props that can fit easily inside a standard size file box may be used. Plays with elaborate sets, lighting or sound will not be accepted.
A playwright may submit up to two original one-act plays, each 15-minutes in length or less. This is 14 pages or less using either the Samuel French format or the Dramatists Guild Format style. Plays over 14 pages, or fewer than 3 pages, will not be accepted.
Plays must be unproduced and unpublished.
A script which is identified with its playwright will not be accepted.
Casts are limited to no more than six (6) actors.
- Only new scripts submitted for this season will be selected. Scripts re-submitted from years past need to have had significant rewrites to be considered.
- Playwright’s must own the copyright to any material submitted. This includes not only the script itself, but also any musical numbers written explicitly into the script or any other copyright protected material.
- Plays can be submitted online at santafeplayhouse.org/submissions or they can be mailed to us using the form on page 4 of this document.
BLIND SELECTION PROCESS:
- If submitting by mail, please complete and attach the “Benchwarmers Submission Form” to your script. All author information is to appear on the “Benchwarmers Submission Form” ONLY.
- If submitting online, please fill out the online submission form at santafeplayhouse.org/submissions. All author information is to appear on the online submission form ONLY.
- Each play will be given a number and the author information will remain separate during the judging process.
- All plays submitted will be read by a panel of 3 judges and scored using a rating system of 1 to 5.
- The highest scoring plays will be selected for performance, but no more than one play per playwright will be chosen.
- No scripts are selected for production until all scripts submitted have been judged and scored.
Should your work be selected, the following guidelines will apply:
- The Playhouse will assign a director and stage manager for Benchwarmers, and it will be performed by an ensemble cast who will all appear in multiple plays.
- Open auditions will be held in early August and will be open to all playwrights.
- The Playhouse Artistic Director will act as Executive Producer and, along with the Benchwarmers’ Stage Manager and Director, will have the authority to advise and veto should issues unbecoming to the Playhouse arise.
- Playwrights will be welcome, but not required, to attend all rehearsals of their play.
- The Playhouse will provide sound, lighting, stage and house management, box office and publicity.
- Rehearsals prior to production week are to be set up the director, and with the assistance of the Theatre Manager, a schedule for each play will be created.
- Once accepted to the festival, a play may not be pulled from production without the written consent of the Playhouse Board of Directors.
- Once a play is selected for the festival, playwrights will sign a contract outlining all the details of the agreement.
- Benchwarmers is a fundraising benefit for the Santa Fe Playhouse and all funds raised will go to assist in future programming.
Submissions for Benchwarmers:
- Open – May 1 at 12am
- Close – June 15 at 11:59pm
*Submissions received before May 1st or after June 15th will not be read or considered for Benchwarmers.
- Final Selections will be announced on August 1st
- Scripts can be submitted online, by mail, or in person at the Playhouse. If possible, please submit online.
- Submit online at santafeplayhouse.org/submissions
- Submit via mail or in person using page 4 of the submission guidelines.
- Submissions must be postmarked no later than the deadlines outlined above.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org