Please read all the information here before you submit your script. Seriously, please read this.
Guidelines for Submission
Benchwarmers is only open to playwrights with a current New Mexico address.
- All plays are set on a bare stage with a single set piece: a park bench. Although the park bench may represent anything, it must appear on the stage.
- There is no other furniture on the stage and only those props that can fit easily inside a standard size file box may be used. Plays with elaborate sets, lighting, or sound will not be accepted.
- A playwright may submit up to two original one-act plays, each 15-minutes in length or less. This is 14 pages or less using either the Samuel French format or the Dramatists Guild Format style. Plays over 14 pages, or fewer than 3 pages, will not be accepted.
- Plays must be un-produced and unpublished.
- A script which is identified with its playwright will not be accepted.
- Casts are limited to no more than six (6) actors.
- Only new scripts submitted for this season will be selected. Scripts re-submitted from years past need to have had significant rewrites to be considered.
- Playwrights must own the copyright to any material submitted. This includes not only the script itself, but also any musical numbers written explicitly into the script or any other copyright protected material.
- Plays can be submitted online, using the form below, or mailed to us using the form on page 4 of this document: Benchwarmers Submission Guidelines & Forms 2019
Blind Selection Process
- If submitting by mail, please complete and attach the “Benchwarmers Submission Form” to your script. All author information is to appear on the “Benchwarmers Submission Form” ONLY.
- If submitting online, please fill out the online submission form below. All author information is to appear on the online submission form ONLY.
- Each play will be given a number and the author information will remain separate during the judging process.
- All plays submitted will be read by a panel of 3 judges and scored using a rating system of 1 to 5.
- The highest scoring plays will be selected for performance, but no more than one play per playwright will be chosen.
- No scripts are selected for production until all scripts submitted have been judged and scored.
Should your work be selected, the following guidelines will apply:
- The Playhouse will assign a director and stage manager for Benchwarmers 2019, and it will be performed by an ensemble cast who will all appear in multiple plays.
- Open auditions will be held in early August and will be open to all playwrights.
- The Playhouse Artistic Director will act as Executive Producer and, along with the Benchwarmers’ Stage Manager and Director, will have the authority to advise and veto should issues unbecoming to the Playhouse arise.
- Playwrights will be welcome, but not required, to attend all rehearsals of their play.
- The Playhouse will provide sound, lighting, stage and house management, box office and publicity.
- Rehearsals prior to production week are to be set up the director, and with the assistance of the Theater Managing Director, a schedule for each play will be created.
- Once accepted, a play may not be pulled from production without the written consent of The Playhouse Board of Directors.
- Once a play is accepted, playwrights will sign a contract outlining all the details of the agreement.
- Benchwarmers is a fundraising benefit for the Santa Fe Playhouse and all funds raised will go to assist in future programming.
- Scripts can be submitted online, by mail, or in person at the Playhouse. If possible, please submit online.
- Submit online using the form below.
- Submit via mail or in person using page 4 of the submission guidelines, found here: Benchwarmers Submission Guidelines & Forms 2019.
- Submissions must be postmarked no later than June 15, 2019.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Submissions are closed.